Saturday, October 17, 2015

The Journey to Tokyo Marathon 2016: The Lottery

Tokyo Marathon is one of my race wishlist, but I didn't plan to join in 2016. I was just encouraged by my runner friend to join the 2016 lottery.So I signed up on the first few days of the registration, not thinking much about whether I want to get a slot to this race because of the burden of expenses.


I get excited a bit, anyway. I was hoping that all the 3 of us (my 2 other friends who joined with me in Angkorwat Marathon) will be picked. But sadly it didn't happened. I was the only one who get the congratulatory email from Tokyo Marathon. My reaction was confused. I was neither excited nor depressed.



I rarely won in lotteries. I must be lucky this time.
On that day, I knew I'm going to pass up to this opportunity. I am a logical thinker as usual, I am deciding whether this will be worth taking a risk. I checked all possible aspects I could think of about getting cheaper flight and accommodation, and getting the schedule that I prefer (to be able to report at work). And it all looked a risky bet. My chance of getting this all favorable to me is very slim.

But there was one thing that made me decide that it will be okay if I pay the registration regardless of whether I will be going there or not. Tokyo Marathon is actually a charity event and whatever money I will put here will be for a good cause.


So I paid my registration and wishing all will be best. I also made a training plan already for this event. Now, I'm in search for a cheap flight to Tokyo which is a big challenge to me. Until then, my decision to come to Tokyo is not yet at 100%. But I'm still hopeful, that this will actually happen to me on February 28, to mark my very first major solo trip and first Marathon World Major race at the same time on my birth month. It will be epic!


Wish me all the luck! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment